Publications in Periodicals
- "Colfax College and English's Collegiate School: Examples of Early Higher Education in the Palouse," Bunchgrass Historian
(Whitman County Historical Society Quarterly), Winter 1980.
- "Norse to the Palouse: The Selbu Community," Bunchgrass Historian, Winter 1982.
- "Relationships of Undergraduate Study Abroad and Subsequent Academic Performance" (with Aldo Melchiori),
Juried Paper presented at 1987 NAFSA Annual Conference, published in the Journal of the Association of International Education
Administrators, Fall 1987 (7: 49-58).
- Review of Byron J. Nordstrom, Scandinavia Since 1500, in Scandinavian Studies 73 (Summer 2001): 233-234.
- Review of Osmo Jussila, Seppo Hentilä, and Jukka Nevakivi, From Grand Duchy to a Modern State:
A Political History of Finland Since 1809, in Scandinavian Studies 74 (Spring 2002), 93-94.
- Review of Terry G. Lacy. Ring of Seasons: Iceland - Its Culture and History, in Scandinavian Studies 74 (Summer 2002), 233-235.
- Review of Knut Helle, ed. The Cambridge History of Scandinavia. Volume I: Prehistory to 1520, in Scandinavian
Studies 76 (Fall 2004), 434-436.
- Review of Paul Douglas Lockhart, Frederick II and the Protestant Cause: Denmark's Role in the Wars of Religion, 1559-1596,
in Scandinavian Studies 77 (Summer 2005), 308-310.
- Review of Thorsten B. Olesen, ed., The Cold War-and the Nordic Countries: Historiography at a Crossroads,
in Scandinavian Studies 77 (Summer 2005), 310-313.
- "Constructing an Ideal Image: The Creative Translation of the Linka Preus Diary," in Norwegian-American Essays: 2004 (Oslo:
Norwegian-American Historical Association - Norway, and The Norwegian Emigrant Museum, 2005), 255-281.
- "From the Immigrant Diary of Linka Preus," Vesterheim Magazine, Vol. 5, No. 1, 2007, 18-31.
- "The Dissolution of Sweden-Norway: The View from Decorah, Iowa, in 1905," in Norwegian-American Essays - 2008, (Oslo:
Norwegian-American Historical Association - Norway, and The Norwegian Emigrant Museum, 2009), 137-161.
- "elias molee and 'alteutonic': A Norwegian-American's 'Universal Language,'" Norwegian-American Studies, October 2011, 84-104.
- Review of Philip J. Anderson and Dag Blanck, eds., Norwegians and Swedes in the United States: Friends and Neighbors, in The Annals
of Iowa 71, no. 3 (Summer 2012), 281-282.
- Review of Betty A. Bergland and Lori Ann Lahlum, eds., Norwegian American Women: Migration, Communities, and
Identities, in North Dakota History 77, no. 2 & 3, 47-48.
- Review of Jerry L. Twedt, Land of Promise, Land of Tears, The Annals of Iowa, Volume 72, Number 1 (Winter 2013), 75-76.
- Review of Maria Forssberg, Mats Hallenberg, Orsi Husz, and Jonas Nordin, Organizing History: Studies in Honour of Jan Glete, in Scandinavian
Studies 84, Number 2 (Summer 2012), 231-233.